Sony has shared the first look of their upcoming next-generation PS VR2 system. Built exclusively for the PS5, it bears a futuristic ‘orb-like’ look that represents “the 360-degree view that players feel when they enter the virtual reality world”.
First look at the PlayStation VR2 headset design!
— PlayStation (@PlayStation) February 22, 2022
Sony says they’ve paid close attention to the ergonomics of the PS VR2 and also conducted multiple tests to ensure maximum comfort for various head sizes.
PS VR2 features and specifications
The PS VR2 was officially revealed last month and it brings features like OLED Display, 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view, foveated rendering, refresh rates of 90 Hz, and 120 Hz with a per eye display resolution of 2000×2040.
PS VR2 specifications
- Display Method: OLED
- Refresh Rate: 90 Hz, 120 Hz
- Resolution: 2000×2040 per eye
- FoV: ~110-degree
- Sensors: Motion Sensor- Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Attachment Sensor- IR Proximity sensor
- Cameras: 4 cameras for headset and controller trackingIR camera for eye tracking per eye
- Feedback: Headset Vibration
- Interfacing with the PS5: USB Type-C
- Audio: Built-in microphone for input, stereo headphone jack for output
PS VR2 Controller Specifications
- Buttons: On the Right- PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right stick / R3 button. On the Left- S button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left stick / L3 button.
- Sensing/ Tracking: Motion Sensor- Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer), Capacitive Sensor- Finger Touch DetectionIR LED- Position Tracking
- Feedback: Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (through an actuator that will be included in each unit)
- Port: USB Type-C
- Communication: Bluetooth Ver5.1
- Battery: Built-in Lithium-ion rechargeable battery
We don’t have an exact release date for the PS VR2 but it’s rumored to come out later this year.