Ember Labs today launched their action-adventure game Kena: Bridge of Spirits for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 (PSN Store), and Windows (Epic Store). The game presents a beautifully designed environment where Kena embarks on a journey to move the dead to the spirit world. In her quest, Kena encounters a variety of enemies, and to eliminate them, she has a bunch of abilities at her disposal.
Let’s take a look at her abilities, how they can be unlocked, and which ones are suitable for your playstyle.
Gathering Karma and leveling up Rot
Throughout the game, players will collect Karma which can be used to upgrade Kena’s abilities. Karma can be obtained by performing various tasks in the game like completing puzzles, feeding Rot (Kena’s spirit companions), and simply progressing through the narrative.
But not all abilities can be upgraded using Karma, some upgrades are unlocked when your Rot reaches a certain level. To level up a Rot, you simply need to collect more Rots and after reaching a threshold number: 5, 15, 35, 65, and 100, you can level up your Rot. The higher the Rot level, the more actions they perform that’ll aid you in combat. Moreover, players can unlock 4 different types of Rot-infused abilities.
Kena is equipped with a Staff that can also be upgraded to form a bow. The Staff can be used to perform light, heavy, and charged attacks, each dealing different damage.
Upgrades for Staff are as follows-
- Sprint Light Attack: Sprint and press Light Attack to perform a quick, low damage quick sweeping attack.
- Sprint Attack Heavy: Sprint and press Heavy Attack to perform a slow, but more damaging overhead attack.
- Air Slam: An upgrade to the Sprint Attack Heavy, Air Slam can be used by Jumping and pressing Heavy Attack to deliver a powerful overhead attack.
- Perfect Charge: Requires Rot level 3. Perfect Charge deals massive damage and it can be executed by releasing a Heavy Attack at the right time.
- Rot Hammer: Press and hold a Heavy Attack and then press Rot Action. It’ll create a Rot Hammer that can be used to strike enemies from a distance.
The bow can be unlocked in the first Act of the game after defeating Kappa. Here are bow upgrades in Kena: Bridge of Spirits-
- Focus: Draw your bow and press lock-on to briefly slow time.
- Bind Multishot: When shooting a bound enemy, the arrows will split to damage nearby enemies.
- Increased Quiver: Kena can fire 5 arrows before the Spirit Bow has to recharge.
- Increased Quiver ++: Requires Rot level 3. Kena can fire 6 arrows before the Spirit Bow has to recharge.
- Rot Infused Arrow: Press Rot Action when drawing your bow to create a Rot Infused Arrow. The bow will fire a powerful arrow that pierces through enemies.
The shield can be activated by pressing down the Pulse button. If you get the timing right, you can parry enemy attacks and deliver a counterattack on your enemies.
- Parry Counter: After parrying, press Light Attack to perform a spinning attack.
- Shield Health +: Enhances the shield’s strength.
- Parry Courage: Requires level 3 Rot. Gain a Rot Action after successfully parrying an enemy attack.
- Shield Health ++: Requires Rot level 4. The strength of Kena’s Shield is enhanced even further.
- Enter The Fray: Start combat with 1 Rot Action available.
Spirit Bomb upgrades-
Spirit Bomb can be unlocked after completing Taro’s questline. Inside the Storehouse, you’ll meet a new character that will teach you how to use Spirit Bomb.
- Quickdraw Bomb: Deals more Bomb damage if you shoot it before it explodes.
- Multi Bomb: This allows you to create two bombs at a time.
- Rot Infused Bomb: Press Rot Action while holding a Spirit Bomb to form a Rot Infused Bomb. Upon explosion, it’ll slow nearby enemies and projectiles.
There’s another ability that can be learned called Spirit Dash. You can get this ability after completing quests in Fields and the Village Heart areas. Spirit Dash allows Kena to pass through barriers, dodge attacks, and stun enemies. There are no upgrades for Spirit Dash.