Cyberpunk 2077 recorded 8 million pre-orders
Cyberpunk 2077 launched worldwide yesterday, December 10, on Xbox Series X/S, Google Stadia, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Microsoft Windows. On the launch day, developer CD Projekt Red’s Investor Relations account announced on their official Twitter handle that the game had sold 8 million copies in pre-orders.
After going through lots of ups and downs in its development journey, the release of Cyberpunk 2077 marked one of the biggest video game launches of 2020. On launch day, the game recorded over 1 million concurrent players on Steam.
More pre-orders than Witcher III
Cyberpunk 2077’s 8 million pre-orders is more than that of Witcher III which is one of CDPR’s best games, and one of the best open-world RPG titles in the world. Players obviously have high expectations from Cyberpunk 2077 and rightly so as they have waited for a really long time for the game to launch.
Out of the 8 million pre-orders, CDPR said that only 26% were physical copies while 74% were digital sales and 59% of the pre-orders were on PC, while the remaining 41 percent were on consoles. Two weeks before release, Cyberpunk 2077 had already crossed $50 million in revenue on Steam and is now collecting 80 percent of royalties on the digital platform.
A thank you tweet was also posted on Cyberpunk 2077’s official Twitter handle. “The journey has just begun and we are hard at work on the upcoming fixes and updates to the game.” the game tweet read. So far, players have reported several bugs in the game but CDPR have assured that they will eventually roll out updates to fix all the issues in Cyberpunk 2077.